This morning's Nintendo Direct video announced a slew of new games, features and updates for the Wii U and 3DS. You can watch the video in it's entirety here
, but if you don't have half an hour to spare for Satoru & pals, here's the important parts:
Wii U News:
- The more I see of Super Mario 3D World, the more I think it looks like Super Mario Bros. 2 on HD steroids, and I love it. We saw some gameplay footage that showed some more of the cat suit that was revealed at E3, as well as a cherry power up that duplicates your character. So you'll be able to have multiple Marios, Luigis, Peaches and Toads running around all at the same time. Super Mario 3D World is set to release on Nov. 22nd, until then you can check out the official site.
- Sonic has been officially confirmed as a playable character in the newest Super Smash Bros. coming to Wii U and 3DS.
- Speaking of Sonic, Maro & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games will launch exclusively for the Wii U on Nov. 15. Not only will you be able to play against your friends, but you'll be able to play against anyone around the world and win medals for your country in Ski Cross, Snowboard Cross, Speed Skating and Bobsleigh/Snowboarding. The game will be available as a standalone game for $49.99, or bundled with a blue Wii Remote Plus controller at an MSRP of $59.99.
- New Wii Remote Plus designs featuring Mario and Luigi themes will be available on Nov. 1st for $39.99 each.
- Pikmen 3 is getting a free software update that includes a new Mission mode stage and updated global rankings. It was also announced that new Mission mode stages will become available as paid DLC, the first set is available today for $1.99. To learn more about the free update and DLC Mission, check out the Pikmen 3 website.
- New minigames were announced for Wii Party U, like a water-scooping game. Also, a plastic stand that lets you set your Wii U GamePad horizontally to make it easier to play Tabletop Baseball and Foosball. Yay?
Third Party Releases:
- Just Dance 2014 includes over 40 new tracks from artists like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Robin Thicke and One Direction. Also, for the first time, there will be a competitive online mode, a 'Stage Mode' where you take the spotlight and your friends dance around you, and a Custom Just Sweat mode that lets you create your own setlist and counts your calories. Just Dance 2014 will be available on Oct. 8.
- Skylanders SWAP Force will be available Oct. 13 for Wii U, Wii and 3DS, see Sean's coverage on SWAP Force here.
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate releases for the 3DS as a companion game to Batman Arkham Origins on Oct. 25th, the same day Arkham Origins is released.
- Sonic Lost World will be released for Wii U and 3DS on Oct. 29th, with lots of cross-platform goodies that are vaguely reminiscent of the Tingle Tuner from the original Wind Waker.
- Assasin's Creed IV Black Flag will be available on Oct. 29th.
- The release date for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been pushed back to Feb. 2014.
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes-Universe in Peril will be available for the Wii U and 3DS (respectively) on Oct. 22. We've got some more info and few screenshots for it here.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney- Duel Destinies will be released Oct. 24th, but you can get a free demo version in the Nintendo eShop today.
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is available starting today- Russell's been really excited about this one, so be on the look out for his review. In case you didn't know, this also includes a 'Classic Mode' that is a remastered version of the original game. There will also be an Unseen, Unheard and Untold bundle that includes music, art and character concepts for the series.
- A new side-scrolling Kirby game has been announced for the 3DS, but no name has been given.
- Nintendo has decided to break the conventions for Zelda games by making The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds have a more open feel to it. Instead of featuring linear progression that involves finding new items in every dungeon, a lagomorphic new character named Ravio will rent and sell you key items, allowing you to explore the game and conquer dungeons in any order you want. A Link Between Worlds is set to launch on Nov. 22nd at a MSRP of $39.99.
- A new trailer for Square Enix's Bravely Default was released, check it out here. The 3DS exclusive RPG is set to launch in the first quarter of 2014.
- To celebrate the release of Windwaker HD, a new shirt is available in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. To get it, you'll need to use the Able Sisters' sewing machine and scan the QR code shown in the Nintendo Direct Video at 20:46.
- StreetPass fans, rejoice! Nintendo Zone locations will now give you the information for the previous six streetpasses collected, instead of just the last one. Plus, there will be exclusive content for 3DS owners at Nintendo Zone locations. On Oct. 14th, a Fedora Chair will be available for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and a Sushi Platter will be available starting Oct. 15th. Additional content for Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, and Gold Pants for you Mii will become available later this year.