Crazy-awesome-looking multiplayer hunting RPG Dauntless is gearing up for their Open Beta, which goes live on May 24. In preparation for that event, they are dropping a giant update into their closed beta on May 2, which promises to bring a lot of structure and story to the experience.
Some of the additions that will be included in the “Seeking the Horizon” update:
- The Progression System: Dauntless’ new progression system is not merely an update to quest lines or crafting requirements, but a new platform on which Phoenix Labs will build the stories of the world, the relationships with the characters that inhabit it, and the content they’ll be adding for years to come.
- A New World Map: The new world map provides Slayers the ability to select hunts and see what’s available.
- Reputation System: More than any new weapon, armor, lantern, or potion, a Slayer’s reputation is critical to their success, and new Reputation System will give them the chance to win the favor of three characters for valuable quests and rewards
- Slayer Choice: There is now more choice when it comes to Slayers choosing their hunts. They will be able to choose between embarking on a “Patrol,” “Expedition” or “Pursuit.”
- An Evolving World: Islands will rotate in and out of the range of Ramsgate throughout the life of Dauntless -- the islands Slayers explore and the activities that are available on them will change over time.
- Diversity of Quests: The diversity of quests that are available to Slayers is being widened with new side quests offering unique rewards (like lanterns).
- Gear Updates: Additional features and content for the gear, set perks, cells, and customization systems will increase the overall diversity of these systems.
Additionally, the Dauntless crew are sharing details on their “Evergame Experience”, which is basically their endgame strategy. Once players have completed the campaign, they will open up the Evergame, this will allow access to new monsters (“Alpha Behemoths”), new rewards and gear progression, and a variety of other new systems.
Details can be found at the latest Dauntless blog post here. For those that are not interested in waiting for the open beta, closed beta Founder’s Packs are still available here.