While some people may think it’s a bit late in the season to release a baseball game, 2K Sport is hoping that’s not the case. They’re also hoping that people will be interested in a faster playing, more arcade like game because that’s the niche that they are hoping to fill with The BIGS.
We had the chance to ask a few questions at a press call in last week. We found out that the game’s mini-games will include things like fielding mini-games where you have to shag balls that are thrown at you, running mini-games where you have run an obstacle course. Then there are the two hitting mini-games that feature the standard home run derby as well as a Home Run pinball mode where you get to bat balls around the New York skyline.
Wii owners will be happy to know that there will be some other cool things to do with the controls besides hitting and pitching. Outside of the obvious you’ll need to drum the controls to make your players run the bases as well as using flick motion controls to dive for balls, throw balls to the right base, and climb the wall to grab baseballs.
Downloadable content looks to be limited to just rosters at this point. Hopefully that will change in the future but I’m not holding my breath.
That was it for our questions; here are a few other notes from the press call
· Completely different kind of baseball game, Heroic baseball as it romanticizies the sport of baseball
· Categorized as arcade game but it’s not Slugfest
· Wanted to leverage franchise and take it in a new way, more fun and exciting, over the top, with it’s own style
· Old school gameplay, baseball fun all the time
· How different - doesn’t share any asset or code with MLB 07, from Scratch over the last 20 months or so – faster game play, celebration of the sport
· More accessible with a lot of depth, should appeal to casual or hard core gamer…just need to like baseball- authentic – heroic baseball. Not fans of slugfest as it detracted from the sport
· Much faster than your ordinary simulation game
· Not next generation slugfest – this game is baseball. Keeping it in the stadium, paying homage to the game and make it stylish – cool baseball
· Modeled down to the upper railings in the stadiums, based on reference data from 2k as well as flying people out to the stadiums
· Players are bigger but without being too over the top
· Hoping to become a new franchise
· Leaning a little more towards offense, better pitcher/batter duel with the batting system – new turbo system introduces some new complexities
· Create character, go through spring training mini-games, earn points for attributes, can unlock bats, tattoos, sunglasses
· 4 player multiplayer online – 2 V 2 (pitching and defense)
· 20 hours of single player action
· Games are only 5 innings long
· Player trade deadlines
· Goal is to be MVP of the world series
· God of War mini-games for wall catches – based on skills of the player as well – better = shorter game play. Home plate collision game play as well – mini-game- button mash head to head
· PS3 will use SIXAXIS control, involved in hitting and mini-games
· 3 Inning Demo on Xbox Live hopefully next week
· Features Gyro ball pitch for those who want their exotic pitches
· Games will only take around 15 minutes each
More On:The BIGS
Companies: 2K Sports
Page 1 of 1